Choose Your Career
Did you Choose your Career ?
Or Did Your Career Choose You?
Did you choose Insurance as your Career? Your Career is important to your quality of life. The first question I ask new Candidates about their Insurance Career is “How did you get into Insurance?” No one told me they wanted to be an Insurance Agent when they were growing up. No one said they chose their college or university courses to earn a degree suited to an Insurance Career.
Was it was Serendipity?
“Serendipity is defined as the occurrence and development
of events by chance in a happy and beneficial way.”
Did your career search that landed you in an Insurance career happen like this? When you finished your education it was hard to decide what to choose.There was either too much or too little to choose from
Or were you between jobs and didn’t know what to do?.
Did you have an uncle, a cousin or a friend with a career in Insurance who were doing great? They experienced career success and had established a secure work and financial future.
You made the decision to get your Level I, got an Insurance job, was surprised you liked the Industry and thrived. And here you are. Sound familiar?
Serendipity has a lot to do with Insurance careers
You have a lot of options when you work in the Insurance Industry. You’ve worked hard to get your insurance education, and you work to maintain your license. You’ve got a wide selection of jobs to choose from – you are always in demand. In demand because there are never enough people to fill the Broker and Company positions in your field.
The big question?
Do you have a plan to reach the best jobs where you’re going and how you’ll reach them? And when it’s time to make each move up? Or are you leaving it up to Serendipity again.
- There are people who are aggressive about moving ahead and getting into a leadership role at a high level.
- Some people choose to be content to have “just a good job” that works for them because their lives with family or sports or community involvement and volunteering are just as important.
- Lots of people are in between don’t know, can’t decide, are confused or too busy with work and their lives to make a decision. Career planning is put aside for “another day”.
Where and how do you start a career plan?
Step 1: Just start with the basics
- List the personality characteristics you use at work
- Review your life responsibilities and outside interests. Do you have family, children, play sports or have hobbies? How much after work time does this take? Are there timelines you need to meet?
- Decide how willing you are to continually upgrade your education to reach specific goals.
- Consider Insurance Broker or Insurance Company. Both come as local, national and international companies.
- The big picture is primarily Insurance Brokers are pro-active and Insurance Companies are reactive.
- Insurance Brokers reach out to customers and Insurance Companies respond to Brokers
- Insurance Brokers are entrepreneurial and sales driven.
- Insurance Companies are data driven decision makers with boundaries.
- Your career success is based on how well you work. Compare your work characteristics and skills to both Company and Broker
- Know we thrive when we like what we do. We like what we do when it suits our personality traits.
Choose the Insurance Industry. Make the choice to thrive and succeed
This is a very simplistic outline of how to plan your career. Under the umbrella of either an Insurance Broker or Insurance Company is a huge variety of positions. Your decision has to start with you and who you are. It also includes how much you prepared to do to reach your goal. Most Brokers and Insurance Companies reimburse tuition fees and exam costs when you want to upgrade your Insurance education to grow to a better job.
Find an Experienced Recruiter you can trust to guide your career.
- Meet with an Insurance Recruiter to discuss your career.
- Recruiters offer objectivity, the big picture, a sounding board plus a wealth of hands on experience working in the Insurance job market.
- Recruiters can suggest alternate routes to get you where you want to be or if it is time for a detour to get your career back on track.
Make your Choice – Choose your Starring role
- Plan your Career path and work toward that growth.
- Your future and financial stability will improve with each step in your growth.
- Seek educational upgrading and Insurance Industry mentors to assist and guide you.
Celebrate Your Success!
Don’t Forget to Celebrate your Successes along the way – life is more of a trip than a destination.
Choose to succeed!